Sunday, April 14, 2013

Last Minute DIY Greeting Card (for baby shower)

Greetings and salutations from the Ebony Oyster,


Our belovèd ship has been in port for repair the first half of the month of April after a terrible storm off the coast of Hispaniola destroyed part of the foremast. We are now back in (and pardon the expression) "shipshape"!

This week's craft is an easy and quick one. The fact of the matter is I didn't want to spend $5 dollars for a greeting card which seems to be the going rate now however I was in need of a greeting card for an impromptu baby shower today. I have better things to blow my loot on: gun powder, pint o' ginger ale, breadfruit...

Solution? DIY greeting card: total cost about US ¢.49 for two cards. Unfortunately I had no baby pink paper or baby pink buttons to decorate the card. I really make an effort to use up craft/sewing items I have on hand before replenishing at the next port o' call.


Small craft advisory: always be sure to have pink buttons on hand prior to beginning a craft project. Savvy?


Signed,


Captain Mad Ellen


PS Two cards were made as I wasn't completely satisfied with the first card:

Card #1



Card #2







To make the very easy envelope:





Source:
http://rubberstamping.about.com/od/projects/ss/EasyEnvelope.htm


To make the greeting card (for a baby shower) with my simplified version see link below. Note that I didn't use a 'circle punch' (just another thing to buy that I probably would rarely utilize) rather I used a Fiestaware salt shaker for a template to make the neck and leg openings.



Craft source:
http://www.stampthat.com/blog/tutorial-for-the-baby-onesie/


Here's another generic baby shower card for either boy or girl:

http://www.do-it-yourself-invitations.com/diaper-baby-shower-invitations.html


Materials used:

-craft paper (and which was on sale at Michael's crafts store for 12. cents each)
-card stock (48 sheets for $5.00)
-glue
-loose glitter
-scissors
-buttons
-hole punch for the paper dots
-sequins
-old greeting cards with flower designs and for the lettering





No comments:

Post a Comment