Thursday, January 2, 2014

DIY Lalaloopsy Clouds

Happy New Year 2014!






Meet the DIY LALALOOPSY CLOUDS







The clouds were taped to the ceiling and the excess yarn snipped off.



Greetings and Happy New Year 1714-

Effervescent Ethel asked me a few months ago if I could make her some "Lalaloopsy clouds" to hang from the ceiling. They are a perfect garnish with the IKEA cloud light cover in her quarters. The paint texture on the ceiling lends a nebulous vibe.


CME

Inspiration found in EE's Lalaloopsy books and online:










Notice in this next photo that my top thread for sewing on the yarn strings was pink. I was too lazy to switch out the pink for white thread. You can't see it anyway when the clouds are up hanging from the ceiling. Besides, seam ripping at 11:00 p.m. wasn't my idea of fun.



NEED:



-white felt, fleece or Ecofelt (I used *Ecofelt because it is sturdy and very similar to a heavy duty interfacing. I just like working with it and use this product often.)
-needle, either sewing needle or embroidery needle (the clouds can also be sewn together on the sewing machine using a long stitch)
-sky blue thread or embroidery floss
-white thread, invisible thread, white yarn or embroidery floss or similar for hanging
-stuffing/polyfill
-tape (update: the tape isn't working. I have to find another method for attaching the clouds to the ceiling.) *2nd Update: I'm back to using clear thumb tacks to attach the clouds to the ceiling. 
-buttons to decorate (they had a 2 for 1 sale recently at JoAnns)
-safety pin(s), for decoration (at the time I could only find black safety pins). I like *these and if I can find in town I might switch out the black safety pin:

Note: *I opted not to use straight sewing pins to decorate the clouds for obvious reasons. If I can devise a method for attaching a straight pin with a colorful pearl head, I will try my best and update this post. Also, avoid bending the Ecofelt. Once it is folded or bent you cannot smooth out the wrinkles or folds.

*


* Read about Ecofelt here: http://www.joann.com/kunin-foss-rainbow-classic-felt-9inx12in-violet-sky-6-pcs/2773471.html



_________________________________________________________________________________



No comments:

Post a Comment