Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Fancy Ribbon Hair Tie

Effervescent Ethel received a cute ribbon hair tie for her birthday two weeks ago. It got me to thinking that a ribbon hair tie would be an easy craft project for her. I haven't decided yet if I want the ends to be uneven as seen in the photo or cut all one length. Anyhow...





A month ago I bought a yard of beautiful hand dyed silk ribbon at an embroidery shop in town ($3.95 yard). It has been sitting in my sewing box and I didn't know what to do with it. I also purchased a yard of fancy thread  (¢.75 a yard) there, too. I was lucky that the ribbon used to attach the ribbons to the hairband was self-adhesive. That one was a spool of ribbon from JoAnns and it cost .¢99. The ribbon and specialty thread were cut into 12" strips. The original store bought hair tie has 15" strips. I didn't have enough ribbon or I would have made the hair tie longer.



 

Beautiful hand dyed ribbon. 



 

Specialty thread





My "pattern" 


-ribbon in color and patterns of choice, your choice of width (I raided my ribbon stash)
-scissors
-hairband
-ruler or measuring tape
-1/4" wide ribbon for attaching the hairband and ribbon strips together (grosgrain works well and was used in the store bought ribbon tie) 
-fabric glue (Aleene's for example)
-Fray Check™
-decoration, button, etc. (optional)

Cost: varies

Note: if you're giving this hair tie away as a gift you may need to lightly press the ribbon to remove the wrinkles. Use the lowest setting on the iron to avoid burning the ribbon! This is especially true with silk ribbon or other delicate material.
___________________________________________________



No comments:

Post a Comment