Saturday, December 21, 2013

DIY Doll House Furniture




^^The box was found on Joanns 70% Christmas merchandise aisle (plus an additional 25% off ) for a price of around $2.00.


I have this overflowing shoe box full of wood craft items: popsicle sticks, tongue depressors, clothespins large and small, old fashioned and spring type, toothpicks, beads, stars, etc. The situation was: either donate them or try to use the wood items in some form of crafting.

Last weekend I started glueing together doll furniture for Effervescent Ethel's dollhouse. Before I knew what was happening I had put together a room full of new furniture and accessories. Although I didn't make much of a dent in the supplies I ended up with some captivating doll house furniture I'm sure will make a particular member of our crew very happy Christmas morning!

Usually I would hop onto Google for crafty inspiration but this time I challenged myself to creating the furniture design with no outside influences. However over the last dozen years I have been greatly influenced by the Look-Alike books by Joan Steiner. Steiner's book have taught me to look at crafting (and dollhouse furnishing and decorating!) in a completely different manner. I applied Steiner's extraordinary work with this craft project. The second challenge was to use *only* what I have on  hand. That was much more difficult than the first challenge.






__________________________________________________________________________________


Let's take the virtual tour!

I had to hustle and take these photos. EE was in the other room. Not a moment to lose!



The princess canopy bed



Another view of the bed.



Vanity table next to bed




Generic holiday tree with gift on spool table.




Writing desk with potted flower, mug on coaster and chair.




Front of chair. 





Large flower pot of feathers




Wood star design on bed's headboard. Initially I had planned to glue on a whole star anise pod to the headboard but all the pods in my spice pantry were broken. It would have meant buying more star anise but that was against the rules.




Bookstand. Didn't quite turn out how I had wanted but I'm not worried about it.




View of bedroom/boudoir.




Items used: (I tried to list everything I could remember.)

-wood craft items, assortment of
-glue
-scissors
-ribbon
-scrap paper
-glass beads
-glitter
-buttons
-broken silver glitter hair barrette (girl's)
-toothpick
-empty matchbox (devoid of matches)
-holiday box (optional)  I used this box to wrap the furniture. Left the lid off and have covered the top with holiday tissue paper.
-paint chip sample for rug
-scrap fabric
-feathers
-narrow ribbon for gift on spool table
-metallic self-adhesive stickers



Cost: very little cost





_________________________________________________________




1 comment:

  1. Excellent.... and even better than excellent because you used only stuff you had on hand! Brava!


    ReplyDelete