Wednesday, December 18, 2013

IKEA doll bed quilt and pillow Part I

I purchased fabric to sew a quilt, mattress pad and pillow for the IKEA doll bed Effervescent Ethel is receiving for Christmas. I  returned to the quilt store and purchased batting, thread and an eighth yard of another fabric (see below). I was aiming for a simple quilt that looked like I merely rummaged through Grandma's old trunk in the attic with its mish-mash of fabric. Nothing really matches and I think I did a reasonably good job.



And let me tell you-it felt great doing some sewing two weeks ago after everyone else had gone to bed.That is until I broke my needle and then production stopped-like a semi heading a brick wall. After a quick trip to the local sewing machine store to buy needles and bobbins, I'm back in business. My sewing projects for Christmas are just about completed!

Note: Young and/or beginning sewers can make smaller versions of this quilt and hand sew it. A perfect way to teach them hand sewing fundamentals.


To do: 

-Put doll bed together (*update: done!*)


-Spray paint the doll bed    >>>> Rust-Oleum 2X in 'Seaside' (*update: done!*)


-Take pictures of the mattress pad and pillow then post on this blog. (Forgot!)  (*update: done!*)

Technique: In a nutshell, I sewed the 1/8 yard fabric strips together lengthwise then folded the whole piece in half. Inserted lightweight batting, applied the seam binding and sewed the edges together. Ran a featherstitch down each seam to secure the fabric and to add a decorative touch. Yo-yos attached and there you have it! Maybe an hour of my time was expended.







My understanding is these are all authentic reproductions of vintage fabric from the 30s.

Moss 30s playtime Chloe's closet 32596-11



As I mentioned above and after musing for a day, I went back the next day and bought an eighth yard of this fabric just because I liked it and had to have it.





Moss 30s playtime Chloe's closet 32596-11




Fabric print Once Upon a Story by Whistlers' Studio  #4344-0150


'Spend a day in the park with Whistlers Studios Once Upon A Storybook. This lighthearted collection is filled with cute scenes of children playing and sweet, little floral patterns.  The cheerful color palette entails classic 1930’s reds, greens, blues and yellow.  Once Upon A Storybook will bring joy, delight and splendor into any room of your home.'



   34211-2


Fabric by Aunt Grace Keepsakes  #4345-133








Why does my featherstitch here suddenly looks like an elongated zig zag stitch!?


Fabric by Aunt Grace Keepsakes  #4344-0150 





The featherstitching!







Mattress pad and matching pillow. I took the existing mattress pad and pillow included with the doll bed and covered with cute fabric. At the time (very late in the evening) I couldn't find my bag of filling (that's a lie-I was too lazy to go search for the filling in the stock barrels). In place of stuffing for the pillow I used about 12 large cotton balls, lightly pulled apart and used for stuffing! By the way, does this fabric look familiar? ;)






________________________________________________________________________



1 comment:

  1. I love this doll quilt and the 1930s repro fabrics are perfect for it! EE is going to be excited come Christmas morning!

    ReplyDelete